15 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup, room temp
- 3/4 cup grapeseed oil or liquid melted coconut oil (for a Lower Fat version, you can use half applesauce (6 Tbsp) and half oil (6 Tbsp)
- 1 1/2 cups canned “lite” coconut milk, room temp, do not sub with a watery thin milk like rice or almond. The coconut makes them fluffy.
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Madagascar vanilla extract (makes an exceptional vanilla flavor)
- two 4 oz vegan buttery sticks, room temperature (1 cup total) Do not sub with the tubs of spreads, as they contain too much liquid
- 2-3 cups of vegan powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons almond milk or desired milk, if needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two muffin pans with decorative paper liners or grease and line with parchment paper rounds on the bottoms of two 9 inch round cake pans. This will make for easy removal later. For a taller cake, use 8 inch pans.
- Sift all the dry ingredients in a large bowl through a mesh strainer and whisk well.
- Make sure your liquids are not cold, otherwise it will cause the coconut oil to harden when added. If your coconut oil is thick, warm it to a liquid before measuring. In a small bowl, add the syrup, oil/applesauce, milk, lemon juice and vanilla. Now add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, slowly a little bit at a time and beat on low, just until combined. Do not overmix the batter or it can make the cake tough. Pour the batter into the lined muffin pans or cake pans.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes for cupcakes and 25-30 minutes for cakes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let them cool in the pans for 15 minutes, then transfer the cupcakes/cakes onto cooling racks to completely cool before icing.
- For the icing, add the vegan buttery sticks into a large metal bowl. Add 2 cups of vegan powdered sugar and beat until fluffy, adding more sugar until it reaches a light, fluffy consistency. Add the vanilla and almond milk. Beat until light and fluffy.
You can make the icing the day before an event and store in the fridge. Then just re-beat the icing to fluff up again before icing your cupcakes or let it soften to room temperature and pipe out with your favorite piping tip. I personally like to bake my cupcakes the day of an event so they are fresh and fluffy. Just store them in an airtight container on the counter.